Fórsa is urging its members to support a national demonstration calling for an end to the housing and homeless crisis, which takes place in Dublin on Saturday, 26th November.
Raise the Roof are hosting a demonstration, gathering outside The Garden of Remembrance, Parnell Square, Dublin 1 at 1:00pm on Saturday November 26th. This demonstration is being called in response to the severe housing crisis facing the country.
What do we want?
The demonstration has five key objectives:
- A State-led housing programme with a mandate to deliver affordable homes for all
- A new State body with responsibility for housing delivery
- Emergency measures to reduce homelessness and shorten time spent in emergency accommodation
- An end to ‘no fault’ evictions, a freeze on rents and long-term security for renters
- A legal right to housing.
Why do we want this?
Here are some statistics on the current housing situation in Ireland:
- There are 10,568 people in emergency accommodation in the Republic of Ireland
- House prices rose 77% between 2012–2020, with incomes up just 23%
- Average rents consume over half the average wage, well above the 30% level defined as ‘affordable’
- Almost 60,000 renters are in their 50s and will struggle with high rents in retirement
- Over 30% of the 2021 housing budget – €900 million plus – was spent on the housing assistance payment (HAP), leasing, and similar initiatives
- Over 100,000 households in the rental sector receive HAP, or similar supports
- Rents have increased by almost 100% in the last ten years.
Each of these figures tells a story of a housing crisis that is deepening and impacting on every pocket of society. Addressing these problems requires radical solutions like the ones laid out by the Raise the Roof.
Where can I find out more?
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Check out the Raise the Roof manifesto for the march here. You can also attend one of our public meetings which are being held:
- Mon Nov 21 Royal Marine Hotel, Dun Laoghaire, 7.30pm
- Weds Nov 23 Woodquay Venue, Dublin City Centre, 6pm
- Thurs Nov 24 Peacocks, River Valley, Swords, 7.30pm
Children’s poster competition
- We are hosting a children’s poster competition for the demonstration. All you need to do to enter is draw a poster about how you would #RaisetheRoof for November 26th and email your entries to email@example.com by November 18th. We will select three winners who will each receive a €50 Smyths Toys Voucher.
Can I help out with the demonstration?
Yes. If you wish to support the demonstration please complete this form.