CE supervisors and assistant supervisors are to ballot for industrial action, as the 10-year dispute over pensions remains unresolved.
The 1,250 staff concerned have no access to any occupational pension scheme.
Fórsa has arranged a series of regional information meetings in order to deliver a report on all developments in relation to the pension claim and to conduct the ballot for industrial action.
CE supervisors and assistant supervisors have been advised to contact their union if they are unable to attend a meeting in their area.
An aggregate ballot will be counted at noon on Friday 17th November.
‘We can’t, and won’t, wait forever’
Fórsa national secretary Angela Kirk told the union’s Services and Enterprises conference in April this year that a 2008 Labour Court recommendation, which ordered that an agreed pension scheme should be put in place for the staff, has never been either accepted or rejected by successive Governments.
“In what has become a torturous process, the Labour Relations Commission ordered the establishment of a ‘high level forum’ to deal with the issue in 2015. But the Forum only convened four times, before it broke down April 2017 after making zero progress. The issue was again raised in public service pay talks last summer, but no progress has yet followed,“ she said.
Carmel Keogh of Fórsa’s CE supervisors’ branch said: “We spend our careers helping disadvantaged and marginalised people, and the long-term unemployed, to gain work in the local community as a stepping stone to regular employment. But when we retire, we become disadvantaged ourselves.
“It’s scandalous that three successive Governments have failed to accept and act on a recommendation from the State’s highest industrial relations authority. We can’t, and won’t, wait forever.”
Regional meeting schedule
- Dublin. Liberty Hall, Dublin City, Tuesday 9th October, 7pm
- Donegal. Mount Errigal Hotel, Letterkenny, Wednesday 10th October, 7pm
- Sligo. Fórsa Offices lce House, Fish Quay, Thursday 18th October, 7pm
- Galway. Clayton Hotel, Wednesday 17th October, 7pm
- Limerick. Fórsa Offices, Roxborough Road, Tuesday 23rd October, 7pm
- Kerry. Farranfore GAA Club, Farranfore, Wednesday 24th October, 7pm
- Cork. SIPTU Offices, Connolly Hall, Lapps's Quay, Monday 12th November, 7pm
- Waterford. SIPTU Offices Connolly Hall, Summerhill, Tuesday 13th November, 7pm
- Wicklow. Grand Hotel, Wicklow Town, Wednesday 7th November, 7pm
- Portlaoise. Maldron Hotel, Tuesday 6th November, 7pm
- Drogheda. Millmount Museum, Wednesday 14th November, 7pm